by Christi Baron
Forks Forum Editor
Once upon a time a thirsty logger could stumble out of a crew bus and make his way just a short distance to one of the many local watering holes, for a frosty cold beer. These days that same logger would wear out his calk boots searching for that cold refreshment.
In an effort to remember those days, the Forks Timber Museum is working on a small display to pay tribute to the once plentiful taverns of the West End.
Just after Prohibition ended in the early 1930s, several taverns started up in downtown Forks, the longest running one was Art’s Place. Arthur Arnhold was the Art and the establishment was located in the middle of the block where the entrance to the former Peninsula College site is now. It was a very busy place for almost 50 years, with many different owners during that time but the name never changed.
Another tavern that was in business in Forks was the Smoke Shop built around 1935 and located where the Chalma store is next to the old Vagabond. It was built by W.S. Lindsey who met an untimely death at the hands of his “girlfriend” and a 30-30. The next person to own the Smoke Shop was the appropriately named Thomas Bru.
Later the Hang-up opened in the former Ackerly Hardware store. The Woodland Hotel had a bar and outside of town there was the Loop Tavern and the Bear Creek Tavern. Just a few miles out of town there also was The Rainy Day Tavern, Frenchies and the At Work Tavern, which were all in the same location just under different names. For a bit higher class imbibing there was the Antlers Shake Room and the Vagabond’s Pebble Room.
The newest addition to the Timber Museum’s look at life in a logging town will include a bar that has been created by museum president Tom Rosmond, along with a few bar stools. Visitors will enter through a doorway and hopefully get a bit of the feel of the tavern experience, but not the smell of smoke, beer, woodchips and other things.
The museum is looking for local tavern memorabilia to round out the display. If you have local tavern memorabilia you would like to donate, please stop by the Timber Museum, 1421 S. Forks Ave., or call 374-9663.
The museum also is working on a plan to pay tribute to the Olympic Theater.