The Clallam County Historical Society will celebrate the 100th anniversary of the opening of the Clallam County Courthouse at the society’s annual meeting on Sunday, June 7. The program begins at 2:30 p.m. at the First United Methodist Church, 110 E. Seventh St., Port Angeles. Parking and entry to the church’s social hall are on Laurel Street.
A photographic record of past county courthouses will be presented by former society president and County Commissioner Mike Doherty. A summary of courthouse history will accompany the photos from the first county seat located at “Whiskey Flats” in New Dungeness to several buildings in Port Angeles.
A main focus of the talk will be the history, construction and operation of the “old courthouse” located at Fourth and Lincoln Streets, Port Angeles, dedicated in June 1915. Some history and photos related to the “new” courthouse, opened in 1980, will be covered.
This program also serves as the historical society’s annual meeting and will cover the installation of board members and officers; presentation of heritage award winners; and announcement of the winner of the donated quilt. Refreshments will be served.
History Tales is free and open to the public. For more information, call the Clallam County Historical Society’s office at 360-452-2662 or e-mail [email protected]