With the Forks VFW Post closing recently the future of its assets were in question. One of those items was the Scorpion that is on display at Tillicum Park.
Scorpions were built from 1953 – 1959 by the Cadillac Motor Car Division of GM, a total of 325 of them were produced for the US Army. Twenty-four of them are left on display around the country and one is on display in S. Korea.
In May of 1965 the park board working with the Army and VFW acquired one for the park. It was first seen in the 4th of July parade that year prior to it being placed in the park.
In recent years the Forks Lions Club built a shelter for it and Olympic Corrections Center inmates painted it.
Recently the Army contacted the City of Forks and pursued an agreement that the Scorpion will remain in the park. The Forks city council approved the agreement at its last meeting.